hello 2017.

Well, 2016 was rough worldwide - in so many ways and on so many levels. And yet, here I am in 2017: still alive, healthy and well, and for that I must be grateful. I must also give credit to the many moments of 2016 that stopped me in my tracks and, quite simply, took my breath away.

I know I begin almost every blogpost with something along the lines of, "here's another blogpost about the ramblings of my very full heart," and I know that I have written posts both about the joy and the blessings that my heart brings, as well as the ruthless and brutal ache that it causes. So, to add to all that, I have been thinking about what I can do to channel my heart to be used in the ways that God intended it to be.

You see, I'm not one for making New Year resolutions. If I need changes or goals in my life, my view is that I should think about those if and when the time comes, and certainly not wait until the following January 1st to put them into play. I also think that setting long-term goals takes us away from the present moment, and as a huge organiser I am often living in the future, not 'in the now.' Instead, what I like to do is to come up with one word each year, to guide me through the coming year - one word, one concept to keep in the forefront of my mind while my heart takes me through each day. My words of the past have been:
2013 - newness
2014 - kindness
2015 - generosity
2016 - faith
This year, 2017, my word is intention.

I have this heart that's all in, or it's all out - it never teeters on the edge of a situation, or loves others with just a small piece of it. When my heart loves, it loves hard. When my heart breaks, it completely shatters. When my heart feels joy, it literally tries to beat its way out of my chest. The thing with a heart like this one, though, is that it often gets mistreated - it gets led down paths of false hope, or it gets nipped, tucked and hammered with misguided words and actions from others, that were probably not intended to be as hurtful as they were received.

So 2017 is my year of intention. I want to live with intention, love with intention, lead with intention and serve with intention. I want to invest my time, my love and my energy into people and places that know my heart, know how to handle it, and will flourish from the love it has to offer.

I was mostly inspired into intention through David Duchemin's words, "guard your time fiercely. Be generous with it, but be intentional about it." I'm not so good at guarding either my own heart or my own time - I'm known for giving everything I have, which also leaves me with everything to lose. It puts me in a position that's utterly vulnerable, and is sometimes taken advantage of by others, including those I love.

I don't want to stop giving, I want to start giving more intentionally.

Happy 2017, lovelies. May it bring you a year of hope, health, happiness, and a whole truckload of intentional moments. X








Comments

Popular Posts