Home sweet home

It has been close to three months since I last blogged. I have been run off my feet. I have been creating a new life with my new husband in a new country. I have been finding my feet in a new job. I have been socializing with new friends. And, I have been attempting to learn a new language. So much newness.

Many of you have been waiting, very patiently may I add, to see photos of our new home here in Bangkok. It's been one of those things on my to do list, right down the bottom. After 3 months of not getting any closer to ticking it off, I decided to replace more pressing issues with procrastination, and alas, you are now seeing our home!

When we moved to Bangkok, my school put us up in a hotel for a week to give us time to find somewhere to live. We looked at over 30 condos and apartments all in the Thonglor area, and this one was among the very first few. On our first viewing we didn't consider taking this one as there were two things putting us off:
1) It's not overly close to the BTS (a 30 minute walk in blistering heat? No thank you) 
2) The building is not a new one (like most condos in Thonglor), so the facilities are not especially luxurious. 

But, keeping in mind that it costs 7 baht (26c NZD) to catch the bus to the BTS, or 45 baht ($1.70 NZD) in a taxi; and that we have used the gym once in 3 months, those things became irrelevant. We have lovely, helpful staff, 24 hour security guards, a pool a mere 40m from our door, a fully furnished condo, and in reality, not a thing to complain about. 

It's a quirky wee place. It has two front doors as it is newly renovated with two condos being combined into one? It is classed as a studio apartment because our bedroom has no door, but it does have curtains for when we have visitors. Because our condo wraps around the corner of the building, we are surrounded by windows - perfect for watching sunsets over wine and sunrises over coffee. You may notice a sink in the middle of the wee through-area joining the kitchen to the lounge - that's where the old bathroom was. I haven't included the bathroom in our photos, I always find taking photos of bathrooms kind of odd and intrusive. But, we are blessed with a perfect Sam-sized bath that I enjoy most nights with candles and a good book. 

We have loved adding our own decorations and knick-knacks about the place. Ok, so that's me who loves doing that. At the end of a hard-working day there's nothing like arriving home to a tidy condo, candles lit, music playing, and air con welcoming you in. Having a house husband to make all this happen helps a great deal too! 

When procrastination takes over again, I will share some of my DIY projects with you, but without further ado, welcome to our humble abode....

Our lounge space

Lounge, looking out into Izzy's studio area

Bedroom/lounge

Looking into the lounge 
(and purposely cropping out Izzy's less-than-tidy turntable area)

From kitchen to lounge, note the quirky sink

Kitchen/dining

Kitchen 

Now that you've seen our home, come and stay!

"Love begins by taking care of our closest ones - the ones at home." - Mother Teresa

Comments

  1. Wow, it's so beautiful! I love all those windows - and that quirky sink :) I must say I love to see photos of bathrooms, though I understand your reasoning - I am just such a fan of a beautiful bath! You have made such a gorgeous home and of course we would love to come and stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg another reason why I didn't take a photo of the bathroom is that the lighting isn't very good in there, I couldn't get a good one. Taking photos of toilets just seems too weird to me, haha! We would love to have you, although finding places/bedding for all 4 of you in a studio apartment could prove a challenge!

      Delete
  2. Finn - I love your house. Although the sink may not be approved of on The Block ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finn! Here in Thailand we have nothing like The Block, luckily for our sink. I miss your lovely face.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts