a few words on me.

There's something we need to talk about. Sensitivity. It's something I'm filled with, and it's something I'm now becoming proud to be blessed with. I have been told, both by my peers, and by those in positions of authority in my life that I "need to harden up" or to "take a chill pill" or to "just let it go." I was recently told that I "have a lot of fire in my heart" and I wasn't sure whether that was a compliment or an insult.

I have been thinking about it a lot recently. When situations get heated and burdens - both my own and those of others, get heavy to bear, I wonder what it would be like to be someone who was able to let things slide, to go about my day in a constant state of "oh, that's fine, I'll let that slide..."

And then this morning everything changed. Today, in a taxi on the way to spend Mother's Day with the children I adore, I read the most perfect piece of soul-sharing, all about sensitivity. It gets to the core of who us sensitive souls are, and it made me consider my sensitivity as something I can hold on to as an asset, rather than push aside as an annoyance.

"I'm the canary in the mine and you need my sensitivity because I can smell toxins in the air that you can't smell, see trouble you don't see and sense danger you don't feel. My sensitivity could save us all. And so instead of letting me fall silent and die - why don't we work together to clear some of this poison from the air?....Instead of coming at us with the desire to change us because we are inconvenient to the world - come at us with the desire to help us because we are important to the world. We want you to see that, with a little help, we can be your prophets, healers, clergy, artists, and activists. Help us manage our fire, yes, but don't try to extinguish us. That fire that almost killed us is the same fire we'll use to light up the world....Let's work together - as equals. Because we need your science and you need our poetry. Maybe we are here not just to be saved by you - but to save you back." 
- Glennon Doyle Melton

Now tell me that didn't change the way you look at the sensitive souls of the world?

Comments

Popular Posts