define family

It's currently the school holidays which means I have a lot of extra time to enjoy my newest favourite thing: Netflix. I have become so attached to the series Parenthood and in the past week I have watched over 30 hours of this family so entangled in love. I have laughed with them, cried with them and shared both joys and anxieties with them. I know, I know, so it's not real - it's a television series. But I have also had the honour of spending time with my own family - the one that I chose for myself here in Thailand. And it got me thinking...

Family is something that has been on my mind a lot - it keeps popping up in my thoughts - both because I'm aware that I am the black sheep of my biological family, and don't really fit in anywhere, and because my husband and I are making plans to add to our own wee family. So I did what is often the first and foremost step of the thinking process in this day and age: I consulted Google. When I saw the definition results on the screen, I was both frustrated and unimpressed.



I've decided something. This world needs a new definition of family, because to me, family is not just parents and children living together in a household, and it's certainly not only the descendants of a common ancestor.

To me, family is so many things. It is...

  • having your own Netflix profile on the family account
  • sharing common life values and morals
  • connecting with those who want to change the world as much as you do
  • unexpectedly shedding tears, purely because you feel so loved
  • having your own toothbrush, set of pyjamas and front door key to more than one home
  • community
  • finding others who also want to spread their love as thick and as far as you do
  • being heard
  • having a hand to hold
  • knowing that your hard days are not a burden on those around you
  • receiving love notes
  • days spent with no plans other than snuggles and laughter
  

This is where you come in. Because family is about community, I want need your help. Together, let's redefine family. Please send me a message or comment below with your ideas.

Love. X


Comments

Popular Posts